Thursday, May 10, 2012

Coloring Page Cake Tutorial

For M's birthday, she really wanted a Hello Kitty cake. I used a simple coloring page as a template. This is the finished product:


Here's how it works:

Step 1: Prep the cake. If you're using two rounds, level the cake and fill it. Whatever you're using, do a base coat of frosting. This will be your background color. (In retrospect, I could have chosen something with higher contrast.

Step 2: Choose your coloring page. I did an internet search of printable coloring pages. Then I laid out parchment paper and traced the bottom of the cake pan on it. This will give you a "window" to try to fit the page in. I realized we wouldn't have room for the balloons in the original coloring page, so I knew to leave them out.
Step 3: Trace the picture. I put chocolate frosting in a frosting bag with a round tip, then traced the coloring page onto the parchment paper.
Step 4: Transfer the picture. Lay the picture frosting-side down on top of the cake. You may want to give the picture a gentle pat, to make sure the frosting transfers from the paper to the cake.
Then gently peel back the parchment paper.
Step 5: Color the picture. I filled frosting bags with the colors of frosting I planned to color the picture with. Just color in the lines. You may need to re-outline the picture once you're done coloring in, like I did.
For a professional touch, add a border to the top and bottom edge of your cake.
Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment