Saturday, January 25, 2020

The Plan of God (Jacob's Sermon): Book of Mormon Journaling 2 Nephi 6-10 (February 10-16, 2020)


I missed journaling a few chapters toward the beginning of this week (this is life, not a career). On the upside, chapter 9 includes a couple of my favorite illustrations.

It was while I was reading 2 Nephi my most recent time that this thought struck me: The story of Adam and Eve is a love story--the first love story. That was where I got the idea of having their names carved in a tree, which is extra cool, because a certain tree was central to their story. In 2 Nephi 9:21, we read, "And he cometh into the world that he may save all men if they will hearken unto his voice; for behold, he sufferers the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children, who belong to the family of Adam." In the margin, I used a gray Mildliner highlighter (you can substitute a gray Crayola fine-tip) to outline a tree and add some lines to hint at birch bark. Actually, I think I wrote the quote first, then drew the tree around it, so I would know how big it was. I used several colored pencils (i.e.-green, blue-green, sage) for grass at the base of the tree. The apple was using the rose-colored Mildliner highlighter, with a brown Micron pen for the stem. The quote I wrote on the tree in brown Micron pen:
"Ever since Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden, Jesus the Christ has offered His mighty arm to help all who choose to follow Him," (President Russell M. Nelson, "Come, Follow Me," Ensign, May 2019).

Later in the chapter, 2 Nephi 9:28-29, is a famous quote about being learned versus being wise. I wrote verse 29 in the margins, underneath a snowy owl sitting on top of three books:
"To be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God," (2 Nephi 9:29).

On the next page, I experimented with illuminated lettering again to write another of Jacob's sayings in the margin:
"Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal," (2 Nephi 9:39).

In chapter 10, Jacob testifies about Jesus Christ. He is able to prophesy to his people that Jesus will be crucified. I found a beautiful quote from Elder Holland. This quote is so beautiful, I included it in my scriptures twice. It was months before I realized I had done that. The second time it appears is in Mosiah 3.
"We are to remember in as personal a way as possible that Christ died from a heart broken by shouldering entirely alone the sins and sorrows of the whole human family," (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, "Behold the Lamb of God," Ensign, May 2019).

The chapter heading says, "America will be a land of liberty where no king will rule." Verses 11 and 14 state that there will be no king in this land. Years ago, President Ezra Taft Benson stated:
"Washington was offered a kingship, which he adamantly refused," (President Ezra Taft Benson, "Our Divine Constitution," October 1987).

Sorry this week has been a little light on scripture journaling (I'm only writing a novel and raising five children at the same time). I promise, I already have more than twice as many journaling images to share for next week. Feel free to follow my Book of Mormon Journaling board on Pinterest. I pin my blog pictures after I post them.

For a different kind of news (like historical fiction book reviews and updates on my writing journey), you can find me on Instagram at Stephanie.West.McRae.

2 comments: