Sunday, April 1, 2018

Sustained! April 2018 General Conference

It's a little funny . . . I never know any of these people called as general authorities, but I get so excited about their calls.
This year has taken that to the extreme as Russell M. Nelson has been called and sustained as President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In one of my upcoming Youtube videos, I'll tell you all about my personal study challenge of all of President Nelson's conference talks.
Today, I was ecstatic to hear Gerrit Gong and Ulisses Soares announced as the two newest apostles. They were in the Presidency of the Seventy before their call, which means I'd seen their pictures and heard their names recently. Sometimes I've never even heard of them, so I was excited to have a little familiarity built in. It's easier to pretend I knew them.

Elder Gong, who was born in California, got a doctorate in international relations from Oxford, was the special assistant to the U.S. ambassador in Beijing, and served as the Asia Area President.
Elder Soares (pronounce: Swar-ez) was born in Brazil! Correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe this is the first time since the restoration of the gospel that someone from South America was called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
Elder Soares got his B.A. in accounting and economics from a Catholic University in Brazil, then became an account and auditor for multinational corporations in Brazil. He had been serving in the Presidency of the Seventy and was serving on special assignment for the Presiding Bishopric at the time of his call.

No comments:

Post a Comment