Monday, July 2, 2018

10 Before 10: My Summer Morning Routine

During the school year, I keep a morning routine for myself of things I daily attempt to complete before 9 or 10 in the morning. What makes sense during the school year and what works well during the summer are sometimes different things, so while I was working on my expectations for the children, I also worked on mine.
For summer, my list contained 10 tasks to complete before 10 am. In case you are wondering, I am waking up to an alarm at 6:30 on weekdays this summer.

My Summer 10 Before 10


  1. Pray, Ponder, and Gospel Study
  2. Exercise and Drink Water
  3. Shower, Hair and Make-up
  4. Make Bed
  5. Family Prayers
  6. Breakfast
  7. Start Laundry
  8. Unload Dishwasher
  9. Tidy Kitchen and Dining Room
  10. Plan Day

I feel like I can get a lot more done first thing in the morning when I don't have to reinvent the wheel every day. I also live most comfortably with a moderate amount of structure. Spontaneous summer fun is more likely to be fun when the kitchen is functionally clean and I feel ready to face the day.
Some mornings are definitely smoother than others. If we have a busy evening where dirty dishes get left out overnight instead of run through the dishwasher, it's going to take me a lot longer to get through steps 8 and 9. I have found this to be great incentive to do the dishes in the evening!
If we stay up late the night before, I know it will be much harder to get up at 6:30. Knowing I am getting up at my summer variation of "early," I purposefully choose not to be up late the night before, so I really believe I'm getting as much sleep as if I wasn't using a schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment