Friday, February 21, 2020

"The Kingdom of God," Book of Mormon Journaling Jacob 1-4 (March 9-15, 2020)

Welcome to my Book of Mormon Journal. Here I share links to the inspirational scriptures and conference talks I have used. My scripture pages are sometimes pretty and sometimes messy. I've posted every page I have done so far, in the hopes that others will be as validated by the mistakes as they are inspired by my more successful pages. After all, the point is what we learn through the process, right?

Jacob 1-4

The Nephites had a pride cycle. I have an expectations cycle. One of my biggest struggles is with the high expectations I have for myself. I set really good goals, and for a while make good progress. Then I crash and burn. It's hard to explain to other people why I feel so devastated to have fallen short of my own expectations, but it's real. After a crash and burn, I am extra cautious about setting new goals. Often I emerge with more realistic expectations that I am better able to follow through on . . . for a while. After rebuilding trust in myself, I'm ready to do a little more. And more. And-crash and burn. C'est la vie. That's life. For me.
Jacob 1:7 encourages us to "come unto Christ" and "enter into his rest." This reminded me of a Christ-centered talk Sister Eubank gave in April 2019:
"When expectations overwhelm us, we can step back and ask Heavenly Father what to let go of. But even so, sometimes life can be exhausting. Jesus assures us, 'Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.' Christ is rest," (Sister Sharon Eubank, "Christ: The Light that Shines in Darkness, Ensign, May 2019. Scripture quote from KJV Matthew 11:28).

In Jacob 1:19, he speaks of magnifying callings and teaching the people. This reminded me of what President Nelson told the women last fall:
"As a righteous, endowed Latter-day Saint woman, you speak and teach with power and authority from God. Whether by exhortation or conversation, we need your voice teaching the doctrine of Christ," (President Russell M. Nelson, "Spiritual Treasures," Conference October 2019).

On the next page, Jacob counsels his people, "before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God," (Jacob 2:18). I wrote two quotes in the margins:
"Seek ye first the kingdom of God," (3 Nephi 13:33).
"Choosing to follow the Father's plan is the only way we can become inheritors in his kingdom," (Elder Dale G. Renlund, "Choose You This Day," Ensign, November 2018).

After penciling in a castle, I outlined it with gray Mildliner highlighter (a gray Crayola fine-tip would work similarly). I shaded the stone with the side of a gray colored pencil. The stained glass is done with pastel Mildliners. The flags are purple Mildliner highlighter outlined with a purple Micron pen.

On the next page, Jacob begins the uncomfortable task of scolding the men because of how they have used and abused the women in their lives. Mostly I'm just glad their story isn't my story.
I used a quote from President Nelson to the Latter-day Saint men of the church:
"Brethren, your first and foremost duty as a bearer of the priesthood is to love and care for your wife. Become one with her. Be her partner," (President Russell M. Nelson, "We Can Do Better and Be Better," Conference, April 2019).

After penciling in the roses and vase, I outlined the rose petals in red Micron pen, the leaves and stem in green, and the vase in blue. I filled in the petals and leaves with colored pencil.

After all the uncomfortableness of chapter 2, Jacob begins chapter 3 speaking to the "pure in heart" for about two verses. I embraced those two verses and wrote this beatitude in the margin:
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God," (Matthew 5:8).

Then Jacob points out that the Lamanite husbands love their wives and children and would one day be a blessed people (verses 6 and 7). It's no secret that the Nephites and Lamanites were enemies. They didn't mix with each other. Each group would say bad things about the other. Jacob commands the Nephites "revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins," and goes back to scolding the Nephite men for having broken the hearts of their wives and children. I wrote a quote from our Prophet:
"Only the comprehension of the true Fatherhood of God can bring full appreciation of the true brotherhood of men and the true sisterhood of women. That understanding inspires us with passionate desire to build bridges of cooperation instead of walls of segregation," (President Russell M. Nelson, "Be One" Celebration).

My final quote before the Allegory of the Olive Tree is from Jacob 4:10:
"He counseled in wisdom, and in justice, and in great mercy, over all his works."

To browse my journaling posts from other weeks, please see my Book of Mormon Journaling Directory or follow my Pinterest board Book of Mormon Journaling.

No comments:

Post a Comment